Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Trip To The Card Shop Part 1. 2010 Topps Jumbo HTA Box


 
     Hello again gang! I purchased a 2010 Topps Jumbo HTA box at my local shop yesterday. I like the jumbo boxes a little bit more than the standard hobby box. They cost a little more but you get around 500 cards as opposed to the 360 in a hobby box plus more inserts and three guaranteed hits to one. Another plus is that usually you will get 98% of the base set completed out of one box.


   This box was a fun one. First off, let me apologize for the pictures as I still haven’t got my scanner up and running so some of the camera pics aren’t perfect. Any way the first surprise is that I completed 100% of the base set. Usually I need to find 2 or 3 cards to finish off the series but this year I got lucky. There were 63 duplicates left over that most will be available after I pull a few out for team and player collections. Now for the good stuff! The 3 hits were very nice. A relic, a hat patch (manufactured), and a relic auto were the score from this particular box. First the hat patch.


Stan Musial Cardinals hat patch #MHR-99 sn'd 26/99


   Some people really dislike the manufactured patch cards that have become popular the last few years. I personally do like them but I regard them as fancy inserts that look nice. This one commemorates a great player and is one of only 99 so I give it a high mark.

Next we have a relic card.


    
   Mat Gamel Peak Performance Game Worn Jersey  #PPR-MG


   I like the layout of this years relic cards and the fact that they have a write up on the performance they are celebrating.

   Next is the biggest hit in my opinion.


David Ortiz Peak Performance Game Worn Jersey Auto #PPRA-DO sn'd 21/50


These three are very nice hits and I like them a bunch. However for the right offer I could be persuaded to trade them as I am not a “fan” of these teams or players and would like to see them go to a good home where they could be more appreciated as I do with Mets and Yankees.

   This year the variation cards are back and I got one in this box. However it is not a legend, it is being called an airbrushed variation and is the only one in series one.

Curtis Granderson #222 (Yankees)


   Interesting that the base (Tigers) is a portrait and the variation (Yankees) is a landscape of the same picture.
 
     I got one black framed paralell.
Mark Teixeira paralell #250 sn'd 05/59
 

I got one gold paralell per pack (10)




   Nice lot of golds, some are up for trade. Let me know which ones you may want. 

Now for the inserts. I am only doing some of the insert sets as there are just too many for me to chase them all. I am doing the Cards Your Mother Threw Out set, the ToppsTown set (regular), the Million Card Give Away, and the Turkey Red set. The others I am just pulling out my teams and players collections cards.

Tales Of The Game (one per pack)

#'s TOG~~~~ 2, 4, 5, 9, 13, 15, 18, 22, 24, 25.
(the #'s not slashed are available)
 
When They Were Young ( one per 2 packs)
 
These 3 for trade
 
 I am not a big fan of this set.
 
Toppstown

Regular #TTT~~~ 1, 4, 7, 10, 19.
 
Gold #FCTT~~~ 1, 4, 7, 16, 19. (all available)
Interesting that the gold paralells have different pictures of the same players.
 
Gotta run, I will finish up in my next post.
 
Thanks for reading!

4 Comments:

James B. Anama said...

I added you to both the Sports Card Blogroll and my own blog's blogroll. What will it take to get that Granderson SP card off your hands???

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama
bdj610

cynicalbuddha said...

I like me them jumbo's too. Lot o cards and if you think about it not that much more expensive then a regular box for the amount of stuff you get. I mean you do get 10 numbered parallel. And Topps did the alternate topps town gold photos last year too in baseball but not in football. mmmm. Not too shabby on the hits.

Dan said...

That is one of the better boxes I've seen. Nice pulls!

Offy said...

I'd definitely be interested in trying to work out a deal with you for the Ortiz. Let me know if there's anything in particular that you are looking for in return and I'll let you know what I have.

Post a Comment

Let Everyone Know What You Think

Followers