Saturday, July 3, 2010

My Rookie Card Challenge Contribution.

I have decided to throw my hat into the ring for For Cards Sake rookie card challenge. I have as my entry an Eddie Murray rookie card.

1978 Topps #36 Eddie Murray RC
      Funny how he played 160 games in 1977 yet his rookie card didn't come out til 1978. Notice the rookie cup logo, how many rc's have one of those on them?
      This card is special to me because it is one of the few cards I have left from my collecting days as a child. As has happened to many, my mother too had thrown out my baseball card collection except she missed a small box that contained a hundred or so 1978 Topps cards. The handful of Mets and Yankees along with a few other players I collect pale in comparison to the significance of this HOF'ers rookie card. I still remember as a kid buying 1978 wax packs with the red wrappers and trying to put this set together. I remember the first appearances of Seattle Mariners and Toronto Blue Jays cards and while I can't remember the specific day I got this Murray card, I do recall the "coolness" of the rookie cup on it so it immediately was one of my favorites from the set even before I could know of it's true greatness. These sell for $30-$60 graded on E-bay while one like I have here average $10. There you have it, my entry into the rookie card challenge.

Thanks for Reading!

1 Comment:

(...Joe) said...

Awesome, I have that Murray RC as well! I got it in one of those ebay "Dutch auctions". I enjoy how the player actually had to be on the team BEFORE their RC came out. Makes life a bit easier.

Post a Comment

Let Everyone Know What You Think

Followers