Monday, January 24, 2011

Group Break Goodies Plus a Trade, Joy of a Completed Set, A Contest Plug, and the Real Reason the Jets Lost!

   Hello all. Today I have a few things to show off here on The Buffet. First up I have just a few of the great cards from Colbey of Cardboard Collection's group break. His breaks are great, usually cheap and he always finds fun stuff to break. As I like to do, I grabbed the Mets and Yankees.

  First some of the 1999 Sports Illustrated. The Jeter is an insert.



    Next is the 1994 Pinnacle. I'm loving the Hundley parallel, too bad the picture can't show the coolnes of this card.



    Some 2005 UD Pro Sigs. I really like this set. 



   I hit 2 parallels from the box, a Giambi silver parallel and a Mussina gold parallel sn'd 257/350. Around the same time of the break, I think before, Colbey posted about a box of 2008 Topps he broke and the auto in the box caught my eye so I inquired and a quick trade was on. I sent him a Sean Casey jersey card and this came back in return.


     While most Mets fans can't see Luis Castillo go fast enough, I think there are bigger problems to address first but that's a discussion for another time. He's still a Mets player so I want his cards and this one is a great addition to the collection.


   Speaking of auto's, The Great Orioles Autograph Project has begun his Hall of Fame week with Earl Weaver, a favorite of my managers collection, and is holding a contest for an auto card of him. Check it out.

   Next part of our little journey here on The Buffet today is a "Joy of a Completed Set" card. Back in 1995, before I left the hobby for some time after my kids were born in 93 and 94 respectively, I chased the 95 Bazooka set when I found a couple of boxes dirt cheap in a clearance bin at CVS. I killed the base set no problem and most of the Red Hots insert set. I bindered them up and never finished the insert set. When I got back into the hobby a few years ago I had so many other interests I forgot about this set until I found the binder and realized I was only 5 cards short of the set. COMC had 3 so it was easy to knock those off and I was down to 2. I actually thought it was 1 and through an SCF post I got the Frank Thomas Red Hot I thought would finally finish off the set. When I was adding it to the book I saw that I skipped one card in the page and was actually still one card short. After a couple of months of being on my most wanted list and sporatic SCF posts, a trader named Jamie hooked me up with this final card to put this set to bed 16 years after I started it.
1995 Bazooka Red Hot Albert Belle

    Thanks to SCF Trader Jamie for the help.


    Finally I believe I have found the real reason the NY Jets lost to the Steelers yesterday. I received a letter in the mail today from a very, very popular blogger out there that explains it all. Apparently he is a mush as the letter proves.
   Click on the picture to enlarge it but in case you can't read it, this is what it says"

"Now that the Falcons have choked...
J-E-T-S
Jets
Jets
Jets
(Feel free to blame me if they lose in the AFCCG)"

  Timing is everything. If I only got this on Saturday, maybe I could have done something but alas, the damage is done. Now I am not going to out this mush but he can feel free to reveal himself in the comments or where ever he sees fit. He was kind enough to include some stuff in the letter for me.

    Some 2010 Panini NFL Stickers and a 1965 Topps #68 Del Crandall. I do appreciate the surprise card and stickers but do me a favor and stick with the Falcons from now on please.

   That's all I have for now. Keep rockin those cardboard dreams people!



Thanks for Reading!


6 Comments:

madding said...

Ahh, so it was dayf's fault. I thought you were going to blame my post last night.

BA Benny said...

Your post was just plain funny to me last night. Like I said I'm not naming names but people can feel free to speculate. LOL

dayf said...

What a jerk! What a maroon! What a complete goober - oh wait that's me!

(cue "Hooray for Captain Spaulding" theme)

TheBrooklynMet said...

Those prosigs are nice, I haven't seen those before. Cool pick ups.

Orioles Magic said...

Thanks for the contest plug!

Anonymous said...

I love the Pinnacle Museum inserts.

Post a Comment

Let Everyone Know What You Think

Followers