Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Collector's Sets Volume 1! *1986 Topps Baseball Champion Superstars*

     Hello all. Today I begin a new series on "Collector Sets" I have obtained over the years and recently. I have several of these so every so often I will feature one here on The Buffet.
     This first installment is a Topps 1986 Baseball Champion Superstars. This set was made in Ireland and featured the stars of the day, or at least who they thought were stars. Look at the checklist on the box back (click picture to enlarge) and see if you agree. I find it interesting that most of these types of sets have a strange number of cards like this one at 33 cards. I like they back in 86 they cost $1.99 and I scored these for $2 each last month.


I have picked 8 of my favorites to show off. All are legitimate superstars in my book.

George Brett, Keith Hernandez, Reggie Jackson, Tony Gwynn.


Dave Winfield, Mike Schmidt, Eddie Murray, Don Mattingly


The backs are fairly simple but I like that they show full career stats as well as achievements on the field.

Peruse the checklist and let everybody know who you would take out and who you would replace them with. I would remove Carney Lansford and add Robin Yount.

Let me know if you would like to see the whole set in future editions or just some of my favorites. I picked up 2 of these, one for the "sets" binder and one to grab singles for the players collection so the following numbers from the checklist are available if anybody is interested. 1, 5, 9, 10, 12, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 25, 26, 31, 32.

In other spots out there in Blogoland, Colby, aka FlyWheels, is hosting a very affordable group break over on Cardboard Collections. Head on over join the fun.  The Hot Tejada Has Arrived at The Great Sports Name Hall of Fame and WAY OFF BASE has a cool Armchair Quarterback contest going. Don't forget to check out The Pack Rip Cafe for a trip back to 1998 today.



Thanks For Reading!

2 Comments:

Brian said...

All of those Topps box sets from the 80's contained 33 cards including those for KMart, Toys r Us etc.
Fleer box sets contained 44 cards.
Most can be picked up for 2 bucks or so at local card shows even tho most contain stars & HOFers. The exception is a Revco set that contains a Barry Bonds rookie card.
I have several from both of these manufacturers as a sort of mini collection.

Tim's Basbeall Cards said...

Hey i would love to make a trade again

Post a Comment

Let Everyone Know What You Think

Followers